In her cookbook, Stock the Crock, Phyllis Good relates that she created this recipe when she was desperate to add a vegetarian dish to her Easter menu. Even the non-vegetarians loved it!
You can find additional recipes we’re featuring from the book here:
Excerpted from Stock the Crock by Phyllis Good. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved. Recipe by Dianne L.
- 5 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups fresh white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped and lightly packed
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup peanuts, chopped, for topping
- 1 Grease the interior of the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2 ombine the sweet potatoes and next 10 ingredients (through broth) in the prepared crock and mix well.
- 3 Cover. Cook on Low 3 to 4 1⁄2 hours, or until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and onions are tender.
- 4 Add the chopped spinach leaves, peanut butter, and lime juice. Stir well. Cook just until heated through.
- 5 Serve in bowls. Top with chopped peanuts.