This Grilled Squash recipe features Allspice. The flavor of allspice is easily replicated by simply mixing together equal amounts of ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Some prefer lesser amounts of cloves for this super flavorful spice blend that is essential for Holiday cooking.
You can choose other squash varieties as well, such as butternut, buttercup, blue Hubbard or even sweet potatoes.
Enjoy this Allspice Grilled Squash!
- 1 (about 1 pound) acorn squash
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To taste salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Macintosh apple
- 1 Halve and slice squash into 1/2-inch thick wedges. Peel each and place in a large bowl.
- 2 Sprinkle allspice, cinnamon, salt and pepper, and toss well to coat every thin wedge of squash.
- 3 Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 4 When ready, add squash and cook for about 4 minutes, turning frequently to brown all sides.
- 5 As the squash is cooking, halve and core apple. Very thinly slice less than a 1/4-inch in thickness; set aside.
- 6 When squash is crisp tender, add vinegar, tossing to coat everything. Continue cooking and tossing for 1 minute.
- 7 Remove from heat and serve hot.