American Buffalo (bison) meat has a rich, slightly sweet meaty flavor and lean fine marbled texture. We pan-seared our Wyoming Bison Burgers in a cast iron skillet, but they are just as delicious when grilled.
Bacon, crispy onion straws, barbecue sauce and pickles add bold flavor to this bison burger recipe, but they’re just as delicious topped with your own favorite condiments! This is part of a series done with Sandwich America to feature some of our country’s great sandwiches!
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
- 11/2 pound ground bison
- To taste, salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 4 sandwich buns, split, butter toasted
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 dill pickle slabs, drained
- 8 strips bacon, cooked crisp
- 1/4 cup smoky-sweet-type BBQ sauce
- As needed, crispy onion straws, oven-baked according to package directions
- 1 Gently form ground bison into 4 (6-ounce each) patties (do not overwork ground bison).
- 2 Season with salt and black pepper.
- 3 Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 4 Add bison patties and cook on each side for 3 to 5 minutes, or to desired doneness.
- 5 Top patties with sliced cheese and cook until cheese melts.
- 6 Spread mayonnaise evenly over bottom halves of toasted buns; top evenly with shredded lettuce, pickles, and burgers.
- 7 Top burgers evenly with bacon, crispy onion straws and a drizzle of barbecue sauce.
- 8 Close with top halves of toasted buns.