Developed by Ingrid Hoffmann and provided by M&M’s/Mars Snackfood.
See our story on the new cherry flavored M&M’s by clicking here.
Note: If the icing hardens in the bowls while you’re working with it, you can add a little more boiling water and mix again or stir over simmering water in a double boiler. If it hardens on the cookies before you’ve decorated them with the M&M’S® Wildly Cherry Candies, use a little fresh icing on the M&M’S® Candies as glue.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped M&M'S® Wildly Cherry Chocolate Candies
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3 – 4 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 ounce DOVE® dark chocolate (about 3 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon canola or safflower oil
- M&M'S® Wildly Cherry Chocolate Candies for decorating cookies
- 1 Preheat oven to 350F. Butter or line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2 In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and lemon extract and mix until smooth. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture in batches, mixing well after each addition. Fold in chopped M&M'S® Wildly Cherry Candies.
- 3 Using a 1/4 cup measuring spoon, ladle batter onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Butter hands and press batter down to form 1/2 inch thick circles. Bake until edges start to brown and tops are puffed, about 18 minutes. Cool completely at room temperature.
- 4 To make icings, combine confectioners sugar, vanilla, and corn syrup in a medium bowl. Mix in one tablespoon of boiling water at a time until icing is silky and easy to spread. Remove half of the frosting and place in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Add the DOVE® dark chocolate and canola oil and stir until the icing is smooth.
- 5 Using a brush, butter knife, or offset spatula, spread white icing over half of the flat side of each cookie. Spread chocolate icing over the other half. Decorate with M&M'S® Wildly Cherry Candies and enjoy!