Simple. Versatile. Satisfyingly delicious. Served with rice, Creole-Style Red Beans make a perfect supper or game-day meal.
Tip: Thicken the soup by using only 5 1⁄2 cups water and stirring in 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes.
Make It Vegetarian/Vegan
Substitute vegan sausage for the meat sausage.
Make It for Picky Eaters
Substitute regular sausage for andouille.
Use 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, but have hot sauce on the table for everyone to enjoy.
Excerpted from Stock the Crock by Phyllis Good. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved. Recipe by Cheryl J. E. and Barbara L.
You can find additional recipes we’re featuring from the book here:
- 1 lb. dried red kidney beans, rinsed, any stones removed
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 lbs andouille sausage, sliced thin
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3-5 garlic cloves, minced, according to your taste preferences
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons Creole seasoning or Cajun seasoning, to taste
- 7 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced, for topping
- 1 Grease the interior of the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2 Combine the red beans and next 6 ingredients (through the water or broth) in the prepared crock.
- 3 Cover. Cook on Low 4 1⁄2 to 6 hours, or until the beans and onion are tender.
- 4 Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in half of the chopped green and red bell peppers.
- 5 To serve, top with the remaining chopped bell peppers and sliced green onions.