Spice up your desserts with this homemade cinnamon toast ice cream that is healthy and allergen-free. Substituting coconut milk for regular milk doesn’t change the flavor but it removes allergens and makes this recipe safe for anyone with lactose intolerance.
We won’t blame you if you don’t change any part of the recipe, but feel free to get as creative as you want and to create your own flavor combinations!
For more allergen friendly recipes, check out the Ashley Pettit Living video series here.
- 2 13.5 oz. cans full fat coconut milk (roughly 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar
- 1 teaspoon quality vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 1 piece of gluten-free millet (or cinnamon-raisin) bread, toasted and crumbled
- 1 pinch xanthan gum (optional)
- 1 apple, sliced and simply pan-grilled
- 1 Over medium heat, pour coconut milk into a saucepan and bring to a slight boil.
- 2 Add nectar, stir and bring to a boil again.
- 3 Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes.
- 4 Remove mixture from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and pinch xanthan gum.
- 5 Whisk to combine.
- 6 Transfer to a mixing bowl and refrigerate until cooled completely.
- 7 Transfer mixture into the bowl of your ice cream machine and mix according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- 8 Once nearly completed (30-45 minutes), crumble half of the cinnamon sugar and toast on top.
- 9 Once complete, move it to a freezer-safe container and sprinkle in the rest of the cinnamon sugar and toast.
- 10 When ready to serve, pan-grill the apple slices over medium heat in a skillet using a bit of lemon juice and cinnamon until lightly browned.
- 11 These are great for dipping or using as an ice cream topping!