Colorful and savory, this appetizer is easy to make. Serve these tasty bites at a cocktail party or as a prelude to a dinner party. You can substitute any creamy cheese or crème fraîche for the Gorgonzola.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 heads Belgian endive
- 4 firm but ripe pears, such as Bosc
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
- Frisée leaves for garnish
- 1 Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- 2 Place the walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake, stirring once or twice, until fragrant and lightly toasted, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour the walnuts onto a plate and let cool, then chop coarsely.
- 3 Separate the leaves of the endives. Choose about 40 of the pale ivory to light green inner leaves (reserve the others for another use).
- 4 Halve and core the pears, then finely chop.
- 5 Spread a teaspoonful of the cheese on the base of each endive leaf. Top with a little pear, a sprinkle of nuts and a few frisée leaves.