Eyeball Sub Recipe – Why order pizza on Halloween when you can whip up something spooky and satisfying? Apple butter and soy sauce add flavor to protein rich cannellini beans and lean ground turkey. Before your children dig into bags of candy, give them something healthy and nutritious!
This Recipe Courtesy of Mealtime.org
Per Serving: Calories 352; Total fat 8g; Saturated fat 3g;
Cholesterol 68mg; Sodium 705mg; Carbohydrate 39g; Fiber 3g; Protein 28g; Vitamin A 6%DV*; Vitamin C 14%DV; Folate 14%DV; Calcium 23%DV; Iron 39%DV; Potassium 12%DV
- INGREDIENTS: 1/2 cup drained canned cannellini beans or other white beans
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 8 pitted colossal green olives, cut in 3 round slices
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce with Italian herbs
- 1-2 small black olives, cut in 1/4-inch dice, you will need 24 pieces
- 12 small club rolls (about 5-inches long), split
- EQUIPMENT: Baking Sheet
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Mash the beans with a fork, potato masher or food processor until completely smooth.
- 3 Mix with egg, ketchup, apple butter and soy sauce. Mix into the ground turkey using your hands until completely incorporated.
- 4 Wet your hands with cold water and form into 24, 1-1/2-inch meatballs, and put on 2 sheet pans leaving plenty of space in between.
- 5 Push a green olive ring deeply into the center of each meatball, with the circular side facing up. Mold the meat around the olive into a football shape so that each meatball looks like an eye. Bake for 10 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- 6 While the eyeballs are cooking heat the sauce in a saucepan until simmering, and keep warm.
- 7 Remove eyeballs from the oven. Dab away any juice from the top with a paper towel and insert a piece of black olive into the hole in the center of each green olive giving each eye a dark pupil.
- 8 TO SERVE: Spoon 1/4 cup sauce in each roll, top with 2 tablespoons cheese and insert 2 eyeballs side-by-side staring out from each roll.