These Fried Mozzarella Veggie Skewers are easy to prepare and appropriate for Chanukah (Hanukkah), the Jewish festival of rededication which is celebrated each December, and often referred to as the festival of lights.
This recipe from Family Table by Mishpacha Magazine was created by Faigy Grossman and is one of many featured by our friends at Kosher.com. Photography is by Daniel Lailah, with styling by Amit Farber.
Be sure and check out these additional recipes for celebrating the festival of lights:
- 6 Mozzarella cheese sticks
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 cup Flavored bread crumbs oil, for deep-frying
- 1 Remove string cheese from plastic wrapping and cut each stick into five or six pieces. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- 2 Place eggs in a bowl. Place flour and bread crumbs on two separate plates.
- 3 Dip cheese stick pieces into flour, then into egg, and roll in bread crumbs to completely coat; place breaded cheese sticks onto the prepared baking sheet.
- 4 Allow cheese sticks to stand at room temperature for about five minutes to set, then dip again into egg and bread crumbs, to form a thick coating. Freeze breaded cheese sticks for at least two hours.
- 5 Heat oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan. Deep-fry cheese sticks, a few at a time, until the coating is golden brown and crisp, and the cheese is soft, about one to three minutes.
- 6 Let sticks drain on paper towels; cool slightly and skewer them with vegetables, as shown in the photo. Serve alongside warmed marinara sauce, as a dipping accompaniment.