Grilled Eggplant with Marjoram Sauce Recipe – Eggplant was cultivated for the beauty of its flowers and glossy fruits rather than for the kitchen. Today, there are many varieties of eggplant, both solid and striped, in a rainbow of skin colors, including purple, violet, white and green.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 2 eggplant, each about 12 oz., cut crosswise into slices 1/2 inch thick
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Layer the eggplant slices in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Top with a plate and a heavy weight such as a pot. Let stand for 1 hour to drain off the bitter juices. Rinse off the salt and pat the slices dry with paper towels.
- 2 Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a broiler.
- 3 To prepare the marjoram sauce, in a small bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup olive oil, marjoram, garlic, lemon zest and pepper. Set aside.
- 4 Brush the eggplant slices on both sides with olive oil. Place on the grill rack or on a broiler pan and grill or broil, turning once, until browned and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- 5 Arrange the eggplant slices, overlapping them, on a serving plate. Spoon on the marjoram sauce and let stand until serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.