Zucchini is one of the most popular vegetables for grilling. It’s easy to prepare, cooks quickly and is delicious, particularly when served with this tasty green sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- FOR THE GREEN SAUCE: 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 anchovy fillets in olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 or 5 small zucchini or yellow summer squash, about 1 pound total, cut lengthwise into slices 1/4 inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 To make the green sauce, in a food processor, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, shallot, capers, anchovies, white pepper and the coarsely chopped parsley. Process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the finely chopped parsley and the basil. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2 Place the zucchini in a large, shallow nonaluminum dish. In a small bowl, mash together the garlic and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the back of a spoon until smooth. Whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons oil, the thyme, salt and black pepper. Pour over the zucchini. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 3 Prepare a hot fire for direct-heat cooking in a grill. Position the grill rack 4 to 6 inches above the fire.
- 4 Place the zucchini on the rack. Cook, turning once, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- 5 Transfer to a serving dish and spoon the green sauce evenly over the top. Serve immediately.