I probably should call this Spicy Breakfast Sausage on one hand, but on the other, I believe that all breakfast sausage should have the peppery kick so often not found in todays prepared, supermarket sausage.
It is the crunch and immediate flavor of black pepper that should be tasted upon the very first bite. But if you don’t have cracked black pepper available in your spice rack, substitute ground black pepper.
However, all it takes is the side of a large chefs knife to crack those black, green or red peppercorns you have hidden in the side corner of your pantry.
For more recipes by The Yankee Chef, click here.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon savory and dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Simply place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well before forming into patties and cooking.
- 1 If you truly want to start from scratch, pulse 1-pound bonelesspork shoulder, cut into 1inch chunks. in your food processor with all ingredients until it resembles sausage.
- 2 This way, you can trim any amount of fat from the pork.
For Vermont Breakfast Sausage
- 1 Simply add 1/4 cup maple syrup to above recipe.
For Roadstand Sausage
- 1 Peel, core and dice some apples to add. For a little tartness, make Bog Breakfast sausage by adding a 1/4cup dried cranberries