Laced with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and a trio of fresh herbs, these savory waffles are a delicious change of pace for breakfast or brunch. Serve with poached eggs and crispy bacon.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 Tbs. minced fresh chives
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- Poached eggs and bacon for serving
- 1 Preheat a waffle maker on medium-high heat according to the manufacturer's instructions. Preheat an oven to 200°F.
- 3 In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, butter, cheese, parsley, chives and rosemary. Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and whisk until smooth.
- 5 In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold one-third of the whites into the batter, then carefully fold in the remaining whites.
- 7 Pour 1/2 cup of the batter into each well of the waffle maker. Close the lid and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until the waffles are golden brown and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the waffles to a wire rack set on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining waffles.
- 9 Serve the waffles warm with poached eggs and bacon.