This warm Fall cookie is made (and shared with class participants) in this beautiful kitchen at Silver Dollar City’s Culinary & Craft Center.
Recipe courtesy of Silver Dollar City’s Culinary & Craft School.
See related stories and recipes:
Branson Theme Park Opens Culinary Center
Culinary Classes Meet You Where You Are
Midwest Living Senior Food Editor Tastes it All
An Interview with the Designer
The Culinary Class Experience
Recipes from the series
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves
- 3/4 cup Shortening
- 2 tablespoons Molasses
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 cup lard or your favorite oil
- 1 In mixing bowl sift flour, soda, spices, and salt.
- 2 In a second mixing bowl cream shortening and 1 cup of sugar until fluffy. Add the molasses and egg. Beat the mixture for one minute. Add the flour mixture and mix low speed until combined.
- 3 Shape the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls then roll in a small plate with remaining sugar. Arrange the balls of dough 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 4 Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes or until light brown on bottom. Transfer to cooling rack.