This recipe for Sour Cherry Bread & Butter Pudding comes from the culinary experts at Seasoned Cookery School in the United Kingdom. It’s the perfect twist on a classic European recipe.
Some people are purists, some like additional spice. This is a halfway—some almonds and sour cherries, along with a classic base to please all.
- 20 slices fruit bread (ideally a few days old)
- 50 grams (3-1/2 tablespoons) butter to butter the bread
- 2 eggs
- 350 milliliters (1-1/2 cups) milk
- 75 milliliters (5 tablespoons) amaretto
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 handful sour cherries
- 1 handful flaked almonds
- 1 Begin by spreading each piece of bread with butter and cut in half so you have triangles.
- 2 Lay the bread in two rows and scatter with some almonds & sour cherries. Repeat with another layer, arranging the top layer attractively for serving.
- 3 Whisk together the eggs, milk, amaretto and sugar in a bowl then pour over the bread in the dish. Let this soak for 30 minutes while you let the oven warm to 180°C 356°F (fan)/ 200°C 392°F.
- 4 Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the custard is set.
- 5 Serve hot with cream or custard to serve.