An antioxidant trio of warm cinnamon, earthy oregano and sweet paprika marry well with toasty cumin seed and a touch of brown sugar in this Southwestern-flavored rub. Toasting the cumin seeds intensifies their flavor.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick®.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving): Calories: 204, Fat: 12 g, Carbohydrates: 3 g, Cholesterol: 62 mg, Sodium: 146 mg, Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 21 g.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Cumin Seed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Oregano Leaves
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt using McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Red Pepper, Ground
- 2 pounds New York strip steaks
- 1 Toast cumin seeds in small dry skillet on medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until aromatic. Remove from skillet. Crush seeds using mortar and pestle, spice mill, clean coffee grinder or rolling pin.
- 2 Mix brown sugar, cumin and remaining spices. Rub spice mixture evenly on both sides of steaks. Cover loosely. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- 3 Broil or grill over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes per side or until desired doneness.