The pairing of two antioxidant rich ingredients – cayenne and tart cherries – is a perfect match in slow cooked pulled pork. The cayenne brings an underlying heat and the dried cherries add a sweet and sour balance.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick®.
This recipe is the result of flavor studies showing new trends in pairings. Read more about how the flavor pairings are chosen.
Nutritional Information Per One Serving of the Pulled Pork: 330 Calories, Fat 18g, Protein 26g, Carbohydrates 16g, Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 399mg, Fiber 1g.
Nutritional Information Per One Serving of the Vanilla Slaw (about 1/3 cup): 44 Calories, Fat 4g, Protein 0g, Carbohydrates 2g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 78mg,
Slow Cooker Tip: For best results, do not remove cover during cooking.
Vanilla Slaw: Mix 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract and 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Sicilian Sea Salt in large bowl until well blended. Add 1 package (12 ounces) broccoli coleslaw; toss to coat well. Cover. Refrigerate until
ready to serve.
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried tart cherries
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Crushed Red Pepper or 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Saigon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 10 sandwich rolls (optional)
- Vanilla Slaw (recipe follows)
- 1 Place pork, cherries and onion in slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except rollsand Vanilla Slaw in medium bowl until blended. Pour over pork. Cover.
- 2 Cook 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH. Remove pork from slow cooker.
- 3 Shred pork, using 2 forks. Return pork to slow cooker. Mix and heat with sauce before serving. Serve on sandwich rolls with Vanilla Slaw, if desired.