Runamok® Maple is a northern Vermont-based company that creates delicious high-quality maple syrups. In addition to its purest versions, they also offer a collection of infused, smoked and barrel-aged syrups, each delivering delightful flavor nuances to the maple base.
As the company launches new varieties, we often request samples to explore some of the more unique flavor combinations. Our most recent exploration involves the sweet, floral influences of elderberry, one of our favorite antioxidant-rich superfruits. Elderberry adds an intense fig and honey flavor profile to the maple and it’s easy to see how perfect this would be served over a stack of hot, buttery pancakes.
But it also lends itself well as a dressing for salads, like these Spring Greens With Apple, Farro And Elderberry Vinaigrette. The combination of elderberry maple, topping a bed of greens with slices of fresh apple and the unique flavor and texture of farro, not to mention a sprinkling of feta is refreshing, tart and yet sweet – all flavors working together for a perfect bite.
The syrups are fun to experiment with and make some great cocktails, too. We’re looking forward to our next exploration: Jasmine Tea Infused Maple Syrup. We’ll keep you posted.
- As desired mesclun greens (enough to serve 4)
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup farro, cooked (simmer in 1 cup of water for 20 minutes)
- Sprinkling feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Elderberry Infused Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion, trimmed and sliced
- Pinch salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper
- 1 Blend the vinaigrette ingredients and let sit for a few minutes to mellow the scallion.
- 2 Put the salad ingredients in a large bowl or 4 individual bowls.
- 3 Drizzle the vinaigrette to your liking and toss gently.