Chicken wings, tossed in a yogurt marinade with garam masala, dried fenugreek leaves, ginger, garlic, turmeric, red chili powder, cilantro and beet; baked to crispy perfection and served with a cool mixture of yogurt, mint, salt, and cucumber!
This recipe is courtesy of Neha Khullar, author of Palate Passport.
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spice mix available at many retail grocery stores, Asian Specialty Stores and online)
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (essential ingredient in Indian, Pakistani and Middle Eastern cuisines; available in specialty food retailers, online and some retail grocery stores)
- 1/2-inch knob ginger, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 beet, boiled and grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1 lb. chicken wings
- 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2 In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the chicken.
- 3 Taste the marinade and adjust seasoning as desired. I tend to add more salt after I taste it.
- 4 Toss in the chicken. Make sure the yogurt marinade evenly coats each wing. Marinade the chicken for at least two hours in the refrigerator – overnight will yield the best results
- 5 Stack a wire rack on a baking pan. This will give you crispy wings because the fat from the chicken will drain away.
- 6 Arrange the chicken wings on the wire rack and cook in the oven for about 40 – 50 minutes.
- 7 Serve with a cool mixture of yogurt, mint, salt, and cucumber!