Today, January 4th, is National Spaghetti Day!
Spaghetti, and pasta, in general, continues to be a staple food in most of our lives due to the endless possibility of variation. Classic and traditional spaghetti recipes are a crowd-favorite, but the combinations of flavors, ingredients, and cooking-style allow spaghetti to be one of the most versatile dishes. Bake it, boil it, spice it up — we love every type.
In celebration of National Spaghetti Day, here are a few fun facts about spaghetti to get you in the mood to celebrate:
- Italians never use a spoon and fork when eating spaghetti, this is only an American habit. In Italy, you twirl a fork against the dish to eat it.
- The world’s largest bowl of spaghetti was created in March 2010 by a restaurant outside of Los Angeles, called Buca di Beppo, who filled a swimming pool with more than 13,780 lbs of pasta.
- Believed to be one of the first times TV was used to stage an April Fools’ Day hoax, on April 1st, 1957 BBC convinced its watchers that spaghetti noodles grow on trees and that frost impairs the flavor and growth of each spaghetti strand.
- “Spaghetti” is the plural form of the Italian word spaghetto, meaning “thin string” or “twine.”
- World War II was one of the most important times for spaghetti in American history due to the American soldiers, who found spaghetti when introduced to European cuisine and began to request it when they came home.
Ah, history! Now that you’re a little more knowledgeable on our Nationally celebrated dish, here are four of our favorite spaghetti recipes to help you commemorate:
Fried Halloumi Spaghetti with Basil-Mint Pesto
Halloumi has a firm texture that, when fried, yields a crispy and salty skin that’s irresistible! Use it to top this pasta, giving a fresh, creamy flavor to the overall dish. Click here for the full recipe.
Angel Hair with Spicy Shrimp
Angel hair, the second most popular pasta after spaghetti, is a delicate variety that is best paired with lightly-structured sauces and seafood. This pasta is best of both worlds! Click here to get the full recipe.
Garlic Herb Spaghetti Squash
Cut out the carbs, but keep the flavor of your favorite pasta! This spaghetti squash is made with herbs, butter, and garlic for a healthier variety of ‘spaghetti’ that is bursting with intense flavor. Click here for the full recipe.
Italian Spaghetti with Clam Sauce
This decadent and creamy dish is much easier to make than it appears and has a deliciously savory and satisfying flavor that your guests will love. Click here for the full recipe.
Happy National Pasta Day, from The Food Channel!