This recipe for Avocado Crème Deviled Eggs is an example of a keto-friendly food. Keto-friendly diets have been growing in popularity for several years, helped in large part by high-profile devotees like LeBron James and Kourtney Kardashian.
What exactly is a keto diet? In an interview with Health, Eric Westman, M.D., from the Duke Lifestyle Medical Clinic, explains that it entails moderate amounts of proteins, lower carbs and increased fats. This causes the body to turn to stored fat as a fuel source.
Before making any significant dietary changes, you should always consult your physician. This ensures your diet isn’t in conflict with any illness you may have or medication you’re taking. You can learn more about the keto diet, and find a list of dietician’s recommendations for keto-friendly grocery shopping on the Health website.
If a keto diet is for you, celebrity caterer Andrea Correale, founder and president of Elegant Affairs, has created several keto-friendly recipes you’ll love. We’ve featured Andrea many times in the past. An experienced caterer that has to meet many types of dietary requirements from her celebrity clients, she always brings an elegant perspective to the foods she creates.
Other recipes featured in this series:
- 6 large eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 24 fresh basil leaves, whole
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Place the eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 2 After 10 minutes, drain water and let eggs cool. Once completely cool, cut each egg in half (lengthwise). Remove the yolk and set aside.
- 3 In a separate mixing bowl, mash the yolks with a fork. Add avocado and mash as well. Add the cilantro, chopped basil, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 Mix together until mixture is creamy. Using a pastry bag with a decorative tip, pour in the creamy mixture into each egg.
- 5 Top each egg with a basil leaf. Add another basil leaf underneath each egg.