Such a simple recipe that is almost custard-like, this super creamy flan is an all-time favorite not only because of the flavor but because of its ease of preparation and super short ingredient list!
If you have never made your own caramel before, it is much easier than you think. But a word to the wise. You truly need to keep a close eye on it because once it starts to turn color, it does so very VERY quickly.
- 1 cup sugar cookies, baked and cut
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 whole eggs (or 4 egg whites)
- 1 2/3 cup shredded coconut, divided
- 1 In the bowl of a blender or food processor, add sweetened condensed milk, apple juice, eggs and 1 1/2 cups coconut.
- 2 Blend for 10 seconds on high, leaving it in the container while preparing caramel. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- 3 In a saucepan, add the sugar over medium-low heat and let it melt completely, about 4-5 minutes.
- 4 Once melted, raise the heat to medium and cook until it is mediumbrown in color.
- 5 If you want lighter flavored caramel, cook the sugar to a lighter brown color. Darker color for a more intense flavor. But be careful not to scorch or burn the sugar, for it happens very quick and will be bitter tasting.
- 6 Quickly pour into a 9-inch cake tin. Give the flan batter one more whirl to combineand immediately pour over the caramel.
- 7 Bake 40-45 minutes, or until it has puffed up and starting to change color on top. Remove from oven to cool slightly before carefully inverting it onto a plate or platter that is larger than the cake tin.
- 8 Sprinkle the top with remainder of coconut and let cool before serving.