The addition of sweet cream to soft goat cheese tempers its tanginess while making it light and easy to spread. Pink peppercorns scattered across the top add color and complement the shallots.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1 baguette
- 5 ounces soft goat cheese, at room temperature
- 4 to 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 or 3 small shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons pink peppercorns, smashed
- 1 Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- 2 Cut the baguette on the diagonal into slices 1/4 inch thick. Arrange the slices in a single layer on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- 3 Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Turn the slices and bake until the other side is also lightly golden.
- 4 Put the goat cheese in a bowl and mash it with a fork.
- 5 Add 1 tablespoon of the cream and mash it in. Continue to add the cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you have a soft, mild spread.
- 6 Mix in the salt and the shallots to taste.
- 7 When ready to serve, spread each baguette toast with the cheese and shallot spread and top with several pink peppercorns.