This is the epitome of broccoli and cheese. I adore the flavor the cheese takes on when charred just a tad and mixed with the earthy taste of broccoli and quinoa. These are also wicked easy to prepare!
- 1/2 (15-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 3 cups cooked broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter-flavored crackers, crushed
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 1 Chop peppers and place in a bowl with all other ingredients except oil, mixing gently but well.
- 2 In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- 3 When hot, scoop out 1/4-cup measures and add to skillet. Flatten to about an inch thick. Cook until browned on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes.
- 4 The mixture may not look as if it is holding together at first, but it will bind together beautifully as the cheese melts.
- 5 Turn over, adding rest of oil if needed, and continue cooking an additional 3-4 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Transfer to a serving plate.
- 6 NOTE: To cook quinoa, simply place a 1/4 cup quinoa in a cup cold water and swish around with your hand or spoon. Let it sit in water for 5 minutes, then drain through a sieve and rinse for another minute under cold running water.
- 7 Place quinoa in a saucpan with 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce to low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, keeping the lid on, and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and add to recipe.