These intensely flavored Cannoli are just as satisfying on a cold weather night when you can smell the house filling up with an aroma of baking, but are especially pleasing when family and friends are around for the Holidays.
If you desire to leave out any liqueur (in the way of Calvados seen below), simply boil 1/2 cup apple cider or juice until it reduces to 1/4 cup. Cool completely before proceeding with the recipe. Omit the schnapps altogether if desired, replacing with either rum, vanilla or mint extract.
For more recipes by The Yankee Chef, click here.
- 8 oz. Mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup minced figs, dates, dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple schnapps or rum extract
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 6-8 prepared cannoli shells (*or make your own)
- 1 In a large bowl, beat first 7-ingredients together until smooth
- 2 Scoop half or even a quarter of the cheese filling into a plastic baggie at a time
- 3 Snip off a corner of the baggie and close the open part
- 4 Pipe cannoli filling into one end of the shell and finish filling from the other end. Repeat with remainder of shells
- 5 Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes for the filling to set
- 6 Remove, dust with additional powdered sugar if desired and enjoy