The flavor combination of fresh ripe tomatoes and light fluffy chilled salmon mousse is really quite extraordinary! This is the perfect make-ahead dish for a multitude of occasions; from Sunday lunch to family dinners to cocktail parties. Large beefsteak tomatoes filled with salmon mousse will satisfy the heartiest eater while tiny cherry tomatoes piped full of salmon mousse are the perfect bite size treat to pass among your guests! Amazingly easy to make and delightfully flavorful; a perfect spring and summer dish!
- 4 to 5 large tomatoes
- 2 cups flaked salmon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup cold water
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1 Core tomatoes and turn upside down to drain while making the mousse.
- 2 Combine salmon, lemon juice and zest, mayonnaise, salt and dill in a large bowl.
- 3 Dissolve gelatin in ½ cup cold water over low heat.
- 4 Cool for 10 minutes then add to the salmon mixture.
- 5 Whip cream until stiff and mix into salmon one third at a time.
- 6 Fill tomatoes and chill for 2 hours.
- 7 Alternatively fill large zip lock bag with salmon mousse and chill for 2 hours. Cut one corner of the bag and pipe into tomatoes.