Not too spicy, not too mild!
The sweet taste of pumpkin works well to tone down any heat, but if it is the heat that you desire, simply mince a couple hot peppers and cook along with the onions and bell peppers.
Dollop some sour cream on top and sprinkle shredded Monterey Jack cheese if desired.
For more recipes by The Yankee Chef, click here.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce or puree
- 1 (15-ounce) can packed pumpkin
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add oil
- 2 When the oil is hot, add onion and bell pepper, cooking until softened, about 34 minutes
- 3 Add chicken, continuing to cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked through, stirring frequently to break up
- 4 Add remainder of ingredients, stir to combine and reduce heat to low
- 5 Partially cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot