This hearty appetizer would be a great addition to your Game Day party buffet.
Venison sausage can be used in place of ground venison.
This recipe courtesy of Hormel and the Culinary Institute of America.
- 1 recipe bread dough, white (frozen bread dough can be used)
- 1 pound ground venison or venison sausage
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 drops red pepper sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Stone ground mustard for dipping
- 1 Roll bread dough into rectangle, 17" by 12".
- 2 Place ground venison into sauté pan over medium heat, begin to brown meat.
- 3 Add in onion, parsley, garlic, thyme, ginger, red pepper, black pepper, and red pepper sauce.
- 4 Continue to sauté meat until internal temperature of 155 degrees. Remove from heat and let cool five minutes.
- 5 Place meat over bread dough, leave two-inch gap on one long end of rectangle.
- 6 Place meat over bread dough, leave two-inch gap on one long end of rectangle.
- 7 Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over top of meat.
- 8 Begin rolling bread dough into long pinwheel with venison remaining inside of roll.
- 9 Slice into even rolls and place on greased baking pan.
- 10 Bake at 350ºF conventional oven for 15-20 minutes or until roll is golden brown.
- 11 Serve warm with stone ground mustard.