Pickled ginger imparts a crisp zing to this light and refreshing appetizer. Here, the cucumber slice is a base for the crab topping, but you can also put the cucumber on a cracker or baguette slice and then top with the crab.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 6 cucumbers
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili paste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh-cooked lump crabmeat, picked over for cartilage and shell fragments, chilled
- 1 cup drained sliced pickled ginger
- Small fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
- 1 Carefully cut the cucumbers into thin slices ¼ inch thick. You should have about 48 slices.
- 2 In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, shallot, chili paste, chives and salt and mix well.
- 3 Add the crabmeat and turn gently with a fork to mix well, being careful not to break up the crabmeat too much.
- 4 Put a generous teaspoonful of the crab mixture on each cucumber round, top with a little of the pickled ginger and garnish with a parsley sprig.
- 5 Arrange on a platter, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours before serving.
- 6 Serving Tip: To make an easy-to-handle party appetizer, thread a bamboo skewer or cocktail pick through the cucumber and crabmeat.