This delightfully different brittle is the best tasting sweet treat that everyone will enjoy this year!
The flavor and texture of the candied fruit are appealing to all ages and a perfect treat to send your Holiday guests home with.
For more recipes by The Yankee Chef, click here.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, honey or corn syrup*
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mixed nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup candied fruit, coarsely chopped
- 1 Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2 In a large nonstick saucepan (I say nonstick only because it is much easier to clean afterward but, of course, use whatever saucepan you have available) mix together the sugar, orange juice, maple syrup, and molasses.
- 3 Place saucepan over mediumhigh heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid reaches 300 F on a candy thermometer.
- 4 If you don't have one, it still can be done. At the 7 minute mark, start keeping an eye on it.
- 5 When it starts to cloud up, becomes very thick and sticky and the bubbles appear to be more frothy and numerous, it is time to continue with recipe.
- 6 It should take no longer than 10 minutes. Add butter, stirring until melted. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the baking soda.
- 7 It will foam up but this is normal. Working fast, stir in the nuts, cranberries, and candied fruit.
- 8 Pour onto prepared baking sheet as fast as you can, spreading out the brittle to form the thinnest layer possible. Set aside to harden, about 10-15 minutes.
- 9 *If you don't have molasses, omit it and use brown sugar in place of granulated.