This recipe for Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Bars is another in our series from JSHealth website founder Jessica Sepel. The clinical nutritionist and best-selling author strives to help people better understand foods and their impact on the body.
According to Sepel, “Pumpkin spice is blood-sugar balancing, soothing on the digestive system and a great natural sweetener. These bars are packed with good fats, antioxidants and protein to keep you glowing all morning! If you don’t have pumpkin spice you can use a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.”
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup organic oats or quinoa
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sultanas or currants
- 2-3 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (optional)
For the Turmeric drizzle:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined – the mixture should be firm but soft.
- 2 Grease and line a 20-centimeter (8-inch) square baking tray and press the mixture in evenly with the back of a spoon.
- 3 Combine the ingredients for the turmeric drizzle and stir until smooth and combined. Drizzle over mixture.
- 4 Cover and freeze for 30-40 minutes or until firm.
- 5 Remove from the freezer and cut into eight bars.
- 6 Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.