Guest Chef Michael Mech, The Bungalow Chef, shares the perfect recipe for fall, his Roasted Corn and Avocado Salsa Mini Bites. Good thing they’re minis, because I doubt you’ll be able to stop at one. —Editor
Late summer bounty from the garden is always a delight to use and share with friends and family. This quick appetizer, or small bite, is on trend and beautiful with south of the border flavors.
My cool and refreshing Roasted Corn and Avocado Salsa Mini Bites are the perfect addition for that first party of the new autumn season. And they’re extremely easy to make by using Fillo Factory Mini Fillo Shells. (I always have these on hand as they’re light as air, made with layers of traditional phyllo dough, neutral in flavor profile and crisp on the palette.)
Serve these with margaritas, sangria or a chilled white or rosé wine.
I also use this as a bed of flavors for a shrimp cocktail. Roasted Corn and Avocado Salsa Mini Bites can be made the day before and held in the refrigerator. Just bring it up to room temperature before serving to hit all the flavor notes.
- 2 boxes Fillo Factory Mini Fillo Shells
- 1 ear of fresh sweet corn (roasted on the grill or pan sautéed until corn has started to blister and char with grill marks)
- 1 avocado, ripe but firm, diced medium
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 medium ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 6 ripe olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1 After corn has been grilled let cool, and carefully cut the kernels off the ear.
- 2 Place the corn and diced avocado in a medium bowl, toss with the lime juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, and shallot tossing gently again. Now add the diced tomatoes and olives, then cilantro and red pepper. Adjust final flavor with salt and pepper.
- 3 Chill for one hour before serving. Using a slotted spoon (to drain marinade) fill each Fillo cup with the salsa.
- 4 Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- 5 Alternative serving suggestion: stack the Fillo cups on a small tray and place the salsa in a bowl with a slotted spoon. Let your guests build their own mini bite size treats. Include additional garnish such as a cellar of smoked salt, small individual bowls filled with additional chopped cilantro, minced jalapeño, chopped red onion and additional roasted corn.