Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
This pie is lighter in texture than traditional pumpkin pie. The buttermilk flavor is wonderful. This pie is great served room temperature or chilled.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 358 Fat, Total: 22g Carbohydrates, Total: 35g Cholesterol: 135mg Sodium: 219mg Protein: 7g Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 55% % Cal. from Carbs: 39%
- 1/2 recipe, 1 disk, Basic Flaky Pie Crust Dough
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- BASIC FLAKY PIE CRUST DOUGH: 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 rounded tablespoon sugar
- 1 rounded teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 BASIC FLAKY PIE CRUST DOUGH: Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor; pulse to blend. Add butter and shortening and cut into flour mixture using on/off turns. When mixture resembles coarse meal, transfer to large bowl.
- 2 Combine 4 tablespoons ice water and cider vinegar in small bowl; pour over flour mixture. Stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding additional 2 tablespoons ice water if necessary.
- 3 Gather dough into 2 balls and flatten balls into disks. Wrap in plastic and chill 30 minutes or up to 4 days. Well-wrapped dough can be frozen up to 2 weeks. Allow dough to soften slightly at room temperature before continuing.
- 4 Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12 inch round. Carefully transfer to 9-inch pie pan. Press into pan. Trim and decoratively crimp edges. Let stand in refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- 5 Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bake crust until just golden, about 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- 6 Meanwhile, whisk eggs, egg yolk and sugar in large bowl until blended. Mix in flour, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. Stir in pumpkin and butter, then buttermilk. Pour filling into crust. Bake until set (center will puff slightly) about 45 minutes. Cool completely.