This recipe for Grape Caramel Sauce from the California Table Grape Commission has us dreaming of summer. It’s the perfect topping for vanilla ice cream or other desserts. Let your imagination roam!
- 1 pound green or red California grapes (divided)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Large pinch of salt
- 1 Combine 12 ounces of grapes in a blender or food processor with the lemon juice, and puree. Set aside. Coarsely chop the remaining grapes.
- 2 In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water, and bring to a boil, stirring a few times.
- 3 Simmer without stirring, brushing down the sides of the pot with a brush dipped in water if crystals start forming on the pot.
- 4 When the mixture has turned a deep golden brown, remove from the heat and whisk in the pureed grapes until a smooth sauce has formed.
- 5 Put back on the heat and simmer until mixture has reduced by 1/3 and forms a smooth, caramel sauce. Whisk in the cream and salt; stir in the chopped remaining grapes and serve.