Bisque is a rich, thick soup usually made with cream and shellfish such as crab, shrimp or lobster. By using no-fat gravy mix and evaporated skim milk, we have maintained the creaminess of the classic version, but without all the calories.
This recipe courtesy of Pioneer Brand, C.H.Guenther & Son, Inc.
- 1/2 cup Chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced Italian-style tomatoes with herbs, undrained
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 each Bay leaf
- 1 package (2.75 ounces) Pioneer No-fat Country Gravy
- 8 ounces Imitation crabmeat
- 1 1/2 cups Evaporated skim milk
- 1 In large saucepan, cook and stir onions in oil until onions are translucent.
- 2 Reserve 1/2 cup chicken broth; set aside. Add remaining broth, tomatoes, potatoes and bay leaf to onions. Heat to a boil.
- 3 Cook, covered, over medium heat for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- 4 Dissolve Pioneer No-fat Country Gravy Mix in reserved chicken broth. Stir into tomato mixture until thickened.
- 5 Stir in crabmeat and evaporated milk; heat through. Remove bay leaf before serving.